Elmiron is now in the news for causing a rare and serious eye condition called “pigmentary maculopathy.” If you have taken Elmiron for interstitial cystitis (IC) for an extended period of time, you may be wondering if you are eligible to join the Elmiron class action lawsuit. Below is more detailed information on whether or not you qualify, how you can get help, and what Elmiron side effects you may experience.
What is Elmiron?
Elmiron is a medication used to relieve the symptoms of interstitial cystitis, also known as IC. IC is a chronic condition that causes urinary frequency, urgency, and pelvic pain. Elmiron is the only FDA-approved treatment for IC and has been on the market since 1996. Its scientific name is pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS), and it is the only brand of the drug available, meaning you can’t get another form of this drug anywhere else.
Elmiron and Pigmentary Maculopathy
Recently, doctors and researchers have observed a between Elmiron and a rare eye condition called “pigmentary maculopathy.” This condition can cause vision problems and even blindness.
Some of the effects of this disease include:
- Blurred vision
- Distorted vision
- Dark spots in the field of vision
- Vision loss
The first lawsuit of pigmentary maculopathy linked to Elmiron was reported in 2021, but the effects of the drug have likely affected people way before that year. In fact, in 2018 a study was published linking the two. Since then, more and more cases have been reported, with some patients losing their vision entirely.
If you have been taking Elmiron for IC and have experienced any of these symptoms, it is important to see an eye specialist right away. While there is no cure for pigmentary maculopathy, early diagnosis and treatment can help prevent further vision loss.
Do I Qualify for the Elmiron Class Action Lawsuit?
If you have taken Elm iron for interstitial cystitis and have experienced pigmentary maculopathy, you may qualify for the Elmiron class action lawsuit. To be eligible, you must have:
- Been diagnosed with pigmentary maculopathy: You will need to have a diagnosis from an eye specialist confirming that you have pigmentary maculopathy.
- Taken Elmiron for IC: You must have taken Elmiron as treatment for interstitial cystitis for an extended period of time.
- Suffered vision loss: You must have experienced vision loss or other serious symptoms as a result of your pigmentary maculopathy.
- Taken the drug for more than two years: You must have taken Elmiron for IC for more than two years to be eligible for the lawsuit.
If you meet all of these criteria, then you may be able to join the Elmiron class action lawsuit.
How Can I Get Help?
If you think you may qualify for the Elmiron class action lawsuit, the best thing to do is to speak with a lawyer who specializes in these types of cases. They will be able to review your individual case and let you know if you are eligible to join the lawsuit.
What Damages Can I Get?
If you are able to join the Elmiron class action lawsuit, you may be eligible for damages if your product liability case is successful. Damages can include:
- Medical expenses: If you have had to pay for treatment or medication as a result of your pigmentary maculopathy, you may be able to get reimbursement for these costs.
- Lost wages: If you have had to miss work because of your condition, you may be able to get compensated for the wages you have lost.
- Pain and suffering: If you have experienced pain or suffering as a result of your pigmentary maculopathy, you may be able to get compensation for this.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, punitive damages may be awarded if the court finds that the company (in this case Johnson and Johnson) knowingly put consumers at risk.